If you applied to the CAM program before 2019, you had to pay about $400 for each of your children to take a DNA test. A DNA test shows the relationship between the parent and the child. The government was supposed to give you back the money if the DNA test proves that you are the parent of the child.
If the government did not give you back the money, you may be able to apply for a refund. A refund is the process of getting money back.
Can I get a refund for CAM DNA testing?
You can get a refund if you:
- Applied to the CAM program before 2019
- You and your child or children took the DNA test
- The DNA test showed that you are the parent
- The government did not give you back the DNA payment or you were unable to cash or deposit the money that the government gave you.
You can still get a refund even if you did not receive a decision on your CAM application or your application was denied.
How do I get my refund?
You have two options:
- Contact the resettlement agency that helped you submit your CAM application. See this website for an updated list of resettlement agencies in your area. Click the most up-to-date “R&P Affiliate Directory.”
- Contact the government directly by email to Sumitra Siram, SiramS@state.gov. The government says it will use your information only for checking whether you should get your DNA payment back.
The email should include:
- Full name of parent in the U.S. and the current mailing address
- Full name and date of birth of each child who took the DNA test
- If available, CAM application number (e.g., ES-123456). If you need help finding your CAM number, watch this video starting at 4:56.
Here is a sample email:
Email subject line: CAM DNA Testing Refund
Dear Ms. Siram,
I applied to the CAM program and I was not paid back for DNA fees. I am requesting a refund.
Here is my information:
- My name: [your first, middle, and last names]
- My current mailing address: [your current mailing address]
- My children on the CAM application:
- Name [child’s first, middle, and last names]
- Date of birth [child’s date of birth]
- CAM case number [if available]
[repeat for each child who completed DNA testing]
Thank you for your assistance.
What happens after I request my money back?
You should receive a check from the government to the mailing address you provided. Cash it as soon as possible because checks are only good for 6 months.
Where can I find more information?